Custom orthotics are a great way to help you with back, knee or leg pain.
Your feet are your body’s foundation, bearing all of its weight and keeping it stable. Any pain, deformity, or discomfort in your feet can compromise that stability and cause you to alter your foot alignment and/or normal gait, which in turn can lead to excessive stress on everything from your hip joints to your spine. When this happens, you may be tempted to solve your foot problems by picking up over-the-counter insoles. While that can certainly be cheap and easy to do, insoles and inserts from the supermarket or drugstore lack nearly every benefit that custom orthotics can deliver.
Why Foot levelers custom orthotics as opposed to over the counter orthotics.
Over-the-counter shoe inserts do not address one of the most important aspects of arch support, which is that there are three functional arches that together form what’s known as the plantar vault of the foot. The plantar vault includes the inner (medial longitudinal) arch, the outer (lateral longitudinal) arch, and the anterior transverse (metatarsal) arch across the balls of the feet.
Mass-produced insoles, or inserts, usually provide support for only one arch, while the other two arches receive no benefits. Over time, this lack of complete support for all three arches can actually cause feet to become flatter. Complete arch support, such as our custom orthotics, can relieve the pain you are experiencing today and prevent future pain by correcting your posture and compensating for any or all of your weakened arches.
Do I need orthotics?
Most of us do not have perfect feet, and many could benefit from custom orthotics. If you are experiencing any of the following five symptoms, custom insoles could be particularly beneficial for:
- Pain and swelling: Feeling pain is the number one reason why individuals turn to custom orthotics. If you are in pain during everyday activities, such as walking and standing, orthotic insoles could be your answer. Some of the common types of pain our custom inserts help with are tendinitis, knee pain, and hip pain.
- Plantar fasciitis: Plantar fasciitis causes sharp heel pain, particularly first thing in the morning. Custom-made orthotics can provide heel cushioning and stabilizing, alleviating the discomfort of plantar fasciitis.
- High or low arches: Individuals with flat feet often experience foot and knee pain due to their feet rolling inward. Orthotics relieve pressure on the arch and reduce inward rolling. High arches may also cause foot pain, ankle problems, and calluses. Custom insoles can help align and stabilize low and high arches.
- Diabetic foot issues: Foot health is critical for persons with diabetes. Custom insoles distribute pressure evenly along the foot and can help alleviate common diabetic foot complications.
- Lower limb injury: If you recently suffered a lower limb injury, such as a leg, knee, or ankle problem, custom orthotics can keep your feet aligned and help you heal.
Are custom orthotics the same as arch supports?
Custom orthotics provide advanced arch support that differs significantly from mass-produced basic arch supports available in drugstores or shoe stores. Custom insoles are specifically manufactured to a cast or digital scan of your foot, which means they are unique and address your foot’s specific issues. Therefore, custom insoles provide superior and advanced arch support.